The Naughty Stool technique was first seen on the Jeans Family, the series premiere of Supernanny.
- Come down to child's level
- Make eye contact
- Give the child a warning, using an authoritative voice
- Get the child to sit on the naughty stool and explain why they are in time out if child ignores warning
- Set the timer for one minute per year of age
- If child escapes, put them back on the stool and reset the timer, no talking.
- When time is up, explain why child was placed in time out.
- Get child to apologize
- If the child does not apologize let them stay in time out for some more time
- Give the child a hug
- Jeans Family (Andra for 4 minutes, Jessie and Leah for 3 minutes)
- Weinstein Family (Robert for 2 minutes)
- Jackson Family (Triplets Ethan, Will and Isabella for 5 minutes; However, every time Isabella moves, Lisa adds 5 minutes so it is now 45 minutes for Isabella on the Naughty Stool.)
- Del Re Family (Peter and Deanna for 4 minutes)
Naughty Stool overview on Oprah.com
Jeans Family learns the Naughty Stool - Supernanny US YouTube channel