The Cool-down Area is a discipline technique that first issued in the Christiansen Family.
- Come down to their level, give them eye contact, lower your tone, and give them a warning.
- If they carry on with the behaviour that wasn't acceptable, send them to the cool down area.
- Explain why they are there.
- Leave them in cool down area for 1 minute per year of age. (3 years old= 3 minutes, 6 years old= 6 minutes)
- If they escape, bring them back to the cool down area, no talking, then reset timer.
- When the timer goes off, go and repeat why they were there.
- Ask for an apology. (If they refuse leave them in the cool down area until they are ready)
- Child apologizes.
- Hugs and kisses.
- Move on.
- Christiansen Family (Corey for 7 minutes, Chase for 3 minutes, which turned into 67 minutes)
- Douglas Family (George and Nicole for 4 minutes)